Due to a forecast calling for heavy rain over the weekend, Santa Anita racing officials have made the decision to postpone until Sunday, March 25, the Grade 2, $150,000 San Luis Rey Stakes, which was originally scheduled to be run this Sunday. The San Luis Rey, for older horses at 1 ½ miles on turf, will be run for the 61st time this year.
“We’ve got some significant rain coming our way over the weekend,” said Santa Anita Vice President of Racing, Rick Hammerle. “The heaviest rain is expected on Saturday and if we get what is called for, the turf course is likely to be very soft and wet on Sunday. If that’s the case, the race in all likelihood, would have to be transferred to the main track, which would probably be listed as muddy or wet fast.
“After consulting with the horsemen and the TOC (Thoroughbred Owners of California) we decided it would be in everyone’s best interest to postpone the race by one week. The San Luis Rey is an important steppingstone to the Grade II San Juan Capistrano Handicap on closing day (April 22) and it’s important that the horses get a fair surface on which to prep.”
–Santa Anita Park publicity